Saturday, October 12, 2013

October Currently!

Farley's currently linky is my fav and I told myself I wouldn't miss it this month (...I told myself a lot of other things that never came to fruition either, but that's another story). So, here it is. Better late than never.


Listening: Right now I'm seriously jamming to Audrey Assad. Her lyrics are so beautifully written and convey a real sense of human-ness. I love that her songs meet me where I am and still encourage me to be better. I've had this part stuck in my head today: 

You are a shelter for every misfit soul
we are the four walls, oh but You're the cornerstone. 
You're the solid rock that we are built upon. 
All this time like a vagabond, a homeless stranger, I've been wandering
All my life You've been calling me to a home that I've been needing
I'm a broken stone
lay me in the house You're building. 

Loving: My sweet parents called me on Friday morning to tell me they were coming to visit for the weekend. It was perfect timing because all week I have been missing them and considering taking a personal day to see them -- sometimes a girl just needs her mom and dad! We just had a fabulous late breakfast/early lunch and now my mom and I are heading to the mall a bit later. Such a perfect Fall Saturday :)

Thinking: A very sweet student of mine lost her father earlier this week. I have been heartbroken for her ever since I heard and can't quite get her out of my mind. I can't imagine losing someone so precious to me...especially at twelve years old. I want so badly to fix this awful situation for her...but I can't. If you remember, say a prayer for this sweet girl -- that this situation wouldn't make her bitter but that God would wrap her up in his arms of love and shower her with peace as she faces this storm. 

Wanting: So, I have an empty space on my wall above my cabinet in the back of the room. It's not that big of a deal, but every time I look at it I wish I had something colorful to fill it with. I've always wanted to make some Crayon art and I'm thinking that it would look so cute perched there. Here's the space: 

Notice my cute little paper lanterns! I literally sat on top of the cabinet to hang them ... it was very scary. But, I love them and I need something else in this corner! 

Needing: Alright, confession -- I have had more than seventy personal narratives on my desk since Monday (...of last week). Every time I sit down to grade them I get occupied with a million other little things. But, the last day of the first nine weeks ended yesterday and grades are due Monday at 3PM. Soooo, I'm going to have to make myself. This feels like homework. What's wrong with this picture?

Trick or Treat: I love Halloween -- I think it's so fun -- but, I'm not sure what I'm doing this year. I live in the country so I don't have anyone to pass candy to.  Can I take my dog trick or treating?! 


Hope you're all having a spectacular, relaxing weekend. If you don't hear from me by next week then know I've probably been eaten alive by my mountain of work that is yet to be graded...

E

2 comments:

  1. I feel you on grading essays. I had 85 to do the last two weekends. I finally found a system that worked for me...grade one during commercials :) I pounded several out over the weekend, but I wasn't done and had to keep going during the week...so I bribed myself...I could watch my guilty pleasure shows if I graded one essay per commercial :) Worked pretty well actually....especially when you're not in the mood to grade!

    Stephanie
    Tales of Teaching in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    Loved reading your currently! I feel you on the paperwork! Fortunately, the way I celebrate my students' writing, I am able to read most of their papers and leave positive feedback during the hour long celebration, leaving only a few for me to read later. (I only have 20 students though, compared to your 70!). I'm sorry to hear about your student's father. That is a hard thing for anyone to deal with, but especially a child.

    ReplyDelete